Friday, December 01, 2006

Hell Week

The past few days have been hellish in a lot of ways, mostly because I've refused to listen to others, to myself (i.e., the part of me that is still rational and reasonable), and most crucially, to God (my HP).

I know this.

But, I'm still in a funk, and I don't want to hear anything that threatens me, challenges me, or pisses me off even more than I already am.

I'm ashamed and weary of the way in which I've been posting, censoring and editing myself for fear of how it will be received by those reading it. Dammit, this is my blog—my JOURNAL—and it's for me, to express how I'm feeling and how I'm responding to what's going on around me, so if you don't like it, fuck off. It is what it is. I'm not going to pretend everything's hunky-dory when it's not. (And yes, I'm definitely a glass-half-empty kind of girl.)

That said, I also realize that what I'm experiencing right now is not atypical for someone with 80 to 90 days in. In Georgia, when they handed out the chips, they always said something about the 90 day chip being "red for danger." I didn't understand that then, but I do now. I thought then that it was because at 90 days, you'd become complacent and less vigilant, and that a slip could occur because you weren't being watchful and guarded.

Now, I think it's more because you grow weary and despondent at this point, seeing for the first time in a long time what your life is really like, not having a clue how to make it different and better, and seeing the years stretch out before you with no hope of ever REALLY getting better, getting CURED from alcoholism.

It's at this point that I again begin romanticizing drinking: The Beaujolais Nouveau has just come out. Just to taste an Absolut Raspberri cosmopolitan again. A dirty martini is soooo sophisticated. Maybe if I just hold out until I go skiing in January and limit myself to one glass of wine an evening. Plus one cocktail. I must not be a REAL alcoholic, if I can control my drinking that way. And of course, I'll NEVER drink at home again. Or never more than one, anyway, and only if I have 2 hours before R gets home after I drink it. Because, he won't understand that now I know how to control it, and I don't want to worry or hurt him again.

Part of me just wants to give up, and take that first drink, that first step back out.

But the better, smarter part wants to see this through. Because, deep down, I do have a residual glimmer of hope that life WILL get better if I stick this out. That the feelings of despair, depression, and despondency will abate. That I WILL figure out what I'm good at, what my true passion is, what my purpose in being on this planet is. And, I know that if I'm going to do that, if I WANT to do that, I need to do it without alcohol.

I am proud of being sober for 83 days, too. And, I definitely want that "red for danger" 90 day chip.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool. sounds very much like the thrashing about of early recovery. not even remotely atypical. I still feel pulled in two separate directions. there is always some sort of pull toward sabotage and another towards hope and a better life. i may not think of drinking but the proverbial 'devil' on the one shoulder and the 'angel on the other, is just a standard feature of the human condition. i just think it gets played out more dramatically in early recovery. I'm glad you feel you can speak as you please. its important. that's what honesty is. telling the truth, without worrying what everyone else thinks. its a very valuable skill. as long as i continue to grow and challenge my old ways of looking at things, i experience that 'thrashing about' to some extent. so you're in good company. Im wary of saying anything that might piss you off!! so just ignore this if it does! but i think you're getting there, no doubt about it! keep on keepin on, and all that..

GOOOOOD ol Rockytop... rockytop tennesseeeeee! said...

Good for you! You sound just like me, tugging on sobriety and insanity, on the verge of losing my mind one day, and then happy the next.

I think that is normal at this stage in our recovery!

Peace...

dAAve said...

Hang in there and I hope that you and your sponsor are getting close to Step 3.

Carly said...

83 days is a HUGE accomplishment. Feeling like every nerve ending is on the outside of the skin is how I felt too. Keep writing and sharing true to yourself! xoxo

Scott W said...

Dave said it, it's all about step three.

JJ said...

I am proud you have 83 days too. I use to often "romance the stone" as I called it. Thankfully it gets better.
JJ