Saturday, December 16, 2006

Soupy Saturday Gratitude

Today is drizzly and gray. A day my Mama would describe as "soupy." Despite the weather, I went for a short run this morning. Due to the humidity, as I sit here typing in my running clothers, I'm still quite damp.

But I feel good, and am very aware of so much for which I'm grateful this morning.
  • Today is R's and my 17th wedding anniversary.

  • R's waking me up this morning with the Barney Rubble Happy Anniversay song. :)

  • Not going ballistic when I drove off with my cell phone on top of my car, and it fell off in the middle of Federal Highway, where R found it 45 minutes later.

  • R is an engineering genius and was able to take parts from his old cell phone and fix mine, after it had been run over numerous times.

  • Having a meltdown last night at home BEFORE getting to the church for the Christmas play performance, but not yelling or cussing or screaming or blaming anyone else in the midst of it.

  • A very loving and supportive husband, who tolerates the occasional meltdown because he understands that sometimes his wife just doesn't know how to cope with her fear and anxiety, but that she's trying to learn.

  • Singing a solo without pre-medicating.

  • My mother-in-law being such an easy houseguest.

  • Realizing that broken dishes can be replaced, but not allowing my mother-in-law to help out in the kitchen would do irreparable damage to our relationship.

  • 98 days of sobriety.

  • A wonderful support network, both IRL and virtual.

  • Beginning to learn to take things as they come, and to turn them over to my HP, and seeing that when I do, it's not more than we can handle together.


As we go through the day we pause, when agitated or doubtful, and ask for the right thought or action. We constantly remind ourselves we are no longer running the show, humbly saying to ourselves many times each day "Thy will be done." We are then in much less danger of excitement, fear, anger, worry, self-pity, or foolish decisions.
Alchoholics Anonymous, 4th Edition, pp. 87-88

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, it's sorta cloudy up here too... Great list, way to turn it over. That section in the big book is awesome! Those two pages are essential in my life...

;)

Carly said...

Thanks for this post, DG. Happy Anniversary to you and R!

Amerynthe said...

Happy anniversary!

17 years is a long long time - congratulations!

lash505 said...

Haha I have done the cellphone routine several times. Get that anger out girl..

JJ said...

Happy Anniversary! I drivin off with a variety of things of the roof of my car but none worth going back and looking for. Great grateful list.
JJ

Mary Christine said...

What a bunch of wonderful stuff.

Trudging said...

Congrats on your sober time. I did not know that Barney Rubble had a Happy Anniversay song. I would love to hear it.

Pam Jarnagin said...

Yep, there is one! I'll try to track it down for you, Trudge. :)