Monday, January 01, 2007

January 1, 2007

A new year.

The first year out of the last several that I haven't had to make a resolution to stop drinking, because I stopped 114 days ago, and I'm seeing that being sober is a very good thing, and infinitely better than continuing to drink.

So, as I stop a moment and take inventory, what DO I want to accomplish, what goals DO I want to achieve this year?

  • To continue getting healthy, mentally, physically and spiritually.

  • To begin focusing more on others.

  • To rediscover what my passions are, and to pursue them, or at least begin to pursue them.

  • To never, ever take for granted all that God has given me: friends, support, family, love, and health (just to name a few).

I'm so thankful for this gift of sober living. I'm grateful that I have good meetings to go to. I'm grateful for people I can call, who understand and talk me through a bad moment, or a bad day. I'm grateful that I have a husband who loves me enough to not bring alcohol into my presence, and who was happy to toast the new year in with apple juice and lemon-lime seltzer. I'm grateful that God is working in me, and is changing my attitudes and thought patterns, even my desires. I'm thankful that I started this new year with no hangover, and no panic, remorse or regret over what I did last night. I'm grateful that things worked out for a friend to house-sit for us while we were away, so that my sweet little Boots was well cared for and loved, and that Boots has finally forgiven us for going away. I'm grateful for a new year, a fresh, blank slate, as Mary Christine so eloquently stated.

I'm grateful for you, my wonderful blogging friends. May 2007 be a magnificent year for all of you—for all of us!!

11 comments:

Amerynthe said...

Amen!

Happy new year! And wasn't it great to wake up this morning without a hangover? I can't remember the last time that happened on Jan 1st but I intend it to happen every Jan 1st - and every other day - from now on.

Gooey Munster said...

Happy New Year!!!

It humbles my heart to read about how yor husband supports you. That is so precious in your recovery and your relationship. I know a few women that do not have this and it is a struggle.

Glad Boots will get to stay home and be cared for while you are away. We have to make those arrangements too. I would not want to leave our babies in a kennel.

It is so wonderful to wake up from a night of Not drinking. Hi-Five to a New Sober Year with so much hope of healing and growing.

Pammie said...

You sound so positive and Happy!
Happy New girl.

Anonymous said...

Amen sistergirl! So happy you're doing and feeling better. xoxo

Anonymous said...

So glad to see you back!

Mary Christine said...

Glad to see you post. I was beginning to worry about you.
Happy New Year!

Trudging said...

I am glad to see you post too. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

You're sounding positively healthy!

Happy New Slate!

Recovery Road London said...

You have a wee spring in your step! HNY!

Meg Moran said...

Did you ski? Was it awesome? Happy Happy joyous and free new year to you!!!!

Pam Jarnagin said...

Meg, I don't ski until the middle of January. I'll keep you posted!