Saturday, March 17, 2007

Gettin' Out While the Gettin's Good

Well, hellooooo, everybody! I'm doing really well mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually and sobrietally (I don't think sobrietally is a real word, but it should be!); just not in a very blogging frame of mind these days (too focused on other things, I guess).

I'm going to try to do 6 miles this morning (first "official" long run in my new training schedule). Yes, that's right. I've been inspired and challenged by MC's example to try to run a half marathon. The one I really want to do is the Miami Half Marathon (part of the Miami Marathon) in January, so I've got plenty of time to train for it. In the meantime, though, I'm probably going to join a local running group and enter some smaller races so I can get some official times accrued in order to enter the Miami race.

This is all new to me, but it's good for me to have a goal. I don't do well when I have no goals (boy, is that an understatement!). Anyhoo... it's a gorgeous, cool and breezy morning, so I want to get out there while the gettin's good (as we say in the South).

Update:
Well, I did it! 6.08 miles, in fact. It took me 62 minutes, so not great time, but so far, I've just been focusing on building up distance and stamina. I'll have to start working on increasing my speed now, too, I guess!

7 comments:

ArahMan7 said...

Nice to hear from you again. Seem like you're doing a lot of running lately. Good for you and I wish you'll do good in Miami Marathon next year. Go for your goal, DG.

All the best from Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

U rock!
Peace,
Scout

Mary Christine said...

OMgoodness!!!! You are way faster than me! You are doing great! That is fabulous!

What if we both did Miami? (not as in how Debbi did Dallas, you understand...)

Pam Jarnagin said...

That would be great, MC! And, it would really cement it as a goal for me, too, which would be really good. Let's do it!!

I ran yesterday morning, too, but only did 2.83 miles (I didn't have much time, but wanted to just get a quick one in). I did it in 26 minutes, which was 9.187 minutes per mile! It was really cool and dry, and I was purposely trying to run at a little faster pace, so I definitely think I can get my time down even more if I keep working on it. Problem is, I have no clue how you're supposed to do it...

Mary Christine said...

Hey DG, I can't find your e-mail address. Mine is on my profile. Send me an e-mail, OK?

lushgurl said...

Hello there! I have seen you comment on some friends blogs , so I thought I'd drop in to say HI!
I'll be back again, I like what you have to share...Also I am very intrigued by all you gals who run 'cause you ENJOY it? I won't even run for the bus today! LOL
OK, maybe when I'm 'growed' up and fifty...less than five years...more will be revealed!
HUGS

Redhead Gal said...

Okay, I'm pooped just reading about your plans...