Thursday, July 09, 2009

Still Here . . . Still Sober!

Seems like I never have time to blog any more. I don't really have time now. I'm stealing a few minutes while at work 'cuz I just need to let y'all know I'm still alive and kickin'!

Recently, I've gotten very involved in Celebrate Recovery, a movement which began in a mega-church out in California. It's really good, and I'm on the ministry team, facilitating the women's small group. It's a chance to serve and to give back what I've so freely been given.

But, it's not AA, and it's not enough for me and my life in recovery. That's according to me, my therapist, and my sponsor. I definitely need a balance. I need worship, prayer and fellowship with others who believe as I do, and I'm so grateful that the Church as a whole has finally seen the need to offer hope to those struggling with addiction to alcohol and other substances and behaviors.

But, I also need the fellowship, accountability and encouragement that only those who have lurched and stumbled along the same path can give. If faith alone were enough to keep me sober, I wouldn't have struggled so long with my inability to overcome my addiction. Those who are not alcoholics and addicts cannot fully understand why we are the way we are. I have to be around other alcoholics on a consistent and frequent basis to maintain and grow in my sobriety.

I'm glad I don't have to choose between the two, that they are not at odds. I am so thankful that the rooms of AA provided a safe haven in which I found true friends, and that those friends were instrumental in my seeking help at a treatment center, where paradoxically, I found the faith I had thought I'd lost forever.

God works in mysterious way His wonders to perform.

For me, the secret is staying in the center of what works for me, the center of His will. I don't do it consistently or perfectly, but I am endeavoring for a consistent, constant awareness of His presence in me, that I might experience His peace and hope, and be able to share that with other alcoholics.

It's a process, not an event; a journey, not a destination. I pray for endurance and stamina, that I may finish well.

4 comments:

dAAve said...

Fantastic!
Thanks for checking in.

SLBTS Alumni Dept. said...

Congratulations to you on your sobriety. We have seen the miracle of Celebrate Recovery for many years change many lives.

Anonymous said...

your thoughts on balance are great. i can never imagine my life without aa but i definitely like to add other recreation activities in as well.

Unknown said...

A lot of people don’t think of alcoholism as a disease, but it is, and it affects millions of people each year. It is also becoming more and more prevalent on college campuses where kids binge drink several nights a week. After doing some research I’ve found that Silver Hill Hospital, a substance abuse and psychiatric hospital, has some really good treatment options for adolescents and adults suffering from this terrible disease. Talking/blogging about substance abuse can be extremely helpful not just for yourself, but for others in need. Keep up the good work.