Monday, August 08, 2005

Blowing It

Well, I totally blew my nearly month-long run of sobriety. Did it sneak up on me and take me unawares? No. I big fat planned it out. Which maybe is why I didn't even enjoy it.

I went to lunch with my friend on Thursday. She was already seated when I arrived 10 minutes late, and had ordered a Diet Coke. She wasn't sitting there already sipping a glass of Pinot Grigio or Chianti. So what do I do? When the waitress comes to take my drink order, I look at my friend and ask "Is that all you're going to have?" So I guilt her into having a glass with me, even though she's "trying to be good" for caloric reasons, not drinking issues, which she doesn't have as far as I know.

All well and good. I completely enjoy the glass of wine, I'm eating, so I just have the slightest and most pleasant little buzz when we leave, but as we've spontaneously decided to go get manis and pedis and I'm anticipating being utterly pampered for an hour, I say "Too bad we didn't have another glass of wine."

On the way home (after the nail place), I stop at the liquor store, but since they don't have the UV Citruv I want, I don't buy anything, but I KNOW I'm going to get it the next day when the DH is out of town for 2 days, because I want a veg-out day in front of the tube, accompanied by pretty pink martinis.

I do go the next day, and make my purchase, and proceed to try to get drunk. I finally have to up the ratio of liquor to mixer by 3 in order to start feeling anything other than a mild fuzziness. I'm feeling pretty much in the zone for about 20 minutes, and then I wake up when it's dark, drooling on the leather couch, and manage to make my way back to the bedroom, where I crawl into bed with my makeup on and teeth unbrushed and sleep until dawn the next morning.

So what was the frigging point?

1 comment:

Grace said...

Oh been there, done that! But you know, dont focus too much on the drinking session, a month is a fantastic achievement, far longer than I have managed in recent times. A few days is about it, so youve done fantastically well. You've done it before, you can do it again!

Re starting a new blog, go ahead, I can comment till the cows come home and you will probably get visitors from other sobriety blogs. Do you want a Gmail email account to use for it as I have loads of invites? Email me if you do?