Thursday, December 01, 2005

I Can't Get No Satisfaction

I'm feeling restless, apprehensive, and generally dissatisfied, and personal history proves that this is a very dangerous place for me to be sobriety-wise, as I tend not to recognize that such uneasiness often precedes a relapse or binge (as applicable per case). And I just hit week 7, so I don't want to blow it. (Yes, that's right, folks . . . 7 continuous, beautiful weeks of S-O-B-R-I-E-T-Y!!!)

A lot of this current apprehension stems from the fact that I'm not happy in my most recently chosen fields of work. I LOVE the creative aspects of web design, and I find the challenge of learning how to do the things I visualize to be very stimulating. But, I HATE the way clients are never quite satisfied, or how their expectations turn out to be completely different from what they tell you they want at the initial consultation and even after they sign off on the written proposal, or how they expect you to keep doing general maintenance and updating their sites for free indefinitely (um, can you say "reality check?").

I have found a magic little phrase, though, that tends to stop them dead in their tracks when they want me to do "one more little thing." This is it. You'll want to take notes.

Me:I'll be happy to do that, but I'll have to invoice that as a separate item and bill it at my hourly rate.
Client: [Silence]
Me: Hello? Are you still there?
Client: [Clears throat] Uh, let's hold off on doing that for now. I'll get back to you on it later.

Problem solved.

My other "career venture" is not even worth mentioning, except to note that it is stressing me out more than it's doing anything else, and I should probably cut my losses and get out before I get in too deep.

Yes, it's a multi-level marketing plan, a pyramid scheme, whatever you want to call it.

No, it's not Amway.

Yes, I'm unbelievably stupid and gullible to have gotten suckered into it.

Oh, you'd like more information? Let me tell you about this wonderful opportunity to be your own boss and earn over $1,000 a month while working only 6 hours a week . . .

2 comments:

Kathryn said...

so sorry about the MLM plan. Are you at least getting a good deal on cleanser or something?

Congrats on the continued sobriety!

Pam Jarnagin said...

RSG: Thanks, sweetie! It's really not that bad. I knew what I was getting into at the start and I was okay with it, but I got caught up in all the "pep rally" stuff and let it mushroom and get out of control (story of my life), so it's just overwhelming me right now. I'm taking a break from it until January, anyway.

LAMOM: Hey! Thanks for stopping by and commenting. Yeah, substance abuse is really a symptom of some other crap going on (as is compulsive shopping ;) ), so remembering that and finding an alternative solution to dealing with the crap is key. Thanks for the reminder.