Thursday, April 12, 2007

Tailspin



I've been drinking again. Binge drinking. On March 5, March 28 and 29, and April 9. The worst was the last time. I was in North Carolina, staying with my parents. Driving my mother's minivan. I went to the mall to return/exchange some items. I was leaving to return home the next day. Happy, exhilarated, a little apprehensive about how to tell R how much money I'd spent at Ann Taylor. I wanted a martini. A strawberry martini from The Cheesecake Factory, to be exact. No real planning, but no action to stop the thought from becoming a plan once it started. I went in, and ordered one. It was delicious. I paid, tipped and left. Got in my Mama's Windstar and drove around the block. Parked. Went back in and had two more. All I had eaten all day was one Clif bar and a tablespoon of some leftover meat/bean taco filler my sister had made, and I had run for 40 minutes that morning. Then I went to Food Lion and bought wine. The rest is kind of a blur. I do remember my mother asking me if I was drunk, and my responding with an indignant, incredulous What????, but beyond that just bits and pieces. My sister and her family were there, too, including four of my nieces and nephews. R is trying to get me into a rehab facility. I am mostly numb. Sometimes sad, sometimes angry (mostly at myself). Very depressed. Very regretful and remorseful. I am so not where I want to be, and I have only myself to blame. I went to a meeting last night. Will go to my home meeting and white chip tonight. I dread facing my home group and their seeing my failure, but if I don't, I'll just drink again, eventually. I don't know how to face my family. I wish I'd had the courage to share with them that I was facing my addiction to alcohol and going to AA, but I didn't, so now it's come out in a way that can only have frightened, bewildered and angered them. I've completely blown their trust, which took years to rebuild with my parents after my wild teenage and early adult years. Somehow, though, I am relieved that my "secret" is out. There really is truth in the statement that "we're only as sick as our secrets." If I'd been forthright and honest... well that's really just water under the bridge now.

8 comments:

GOOOOOD ol Rockytop... rockytop tennesseeeeee! said...

Glad you are being honest! That is the hardest thing for me, and continues to be. But picking up the white chip is being truely honest, and is really hard, but soooo right.

Was for me anyhow.

I guess really it comes down to asking for help when I am down. Now, and in the future. All of those feelings and thoughts, whenever they get out of control, I ask for help.

Anonymous said...

It takes honesty for it to begin, DG.
I'm thinking of you,
Scout

dAAve said...

I agree. The honesty must be the beginning of your recovery.
I am hoping you have learned from this experience and not let it be wasted.
Stay in touch if you can.

ArahMan7 said...

Yeah DG, I agree with honesty must be the beginning of your recovery. Just don't turn your back on us. Keep in touch.

Unknown said...

Oh dear. I was thinking of you the other day. When you are ready.....AA will answer the call. When you think of another drink, call another alcoholic. Otherwise, you're as defenseless as I used to be.

Trudging said...

It takes honesty, open mindedness and willingnes. It seems you have the first one.

Anonymous said...

Hi Beautiful,

Oh how I adore your courage and willingness, you keep getting up and fighting. I know this shame you speak about in regard to picking up a chip.

If anything, don't worry about your family. You can tell your secrets and not be judged in the rooms of AA. People who have walked before us know the deadliness and insanity of this horrible disease. Let them carry you, and may you continue to be honest and seek the desire to stop drinking.

Big Ole Tight Hugs 2 u girl!

Anonymous said...

You're brave and wonderful. You deserve sobriety. Much love.