Saturday, April 14, 2007

Taking Home the Bronze

I ran my first 5K race this morning, and amazingly, placed third in my age group, with a time of 27:33.1, at a pace of 8:53 minutes per mile. Not fantastic, but not too shabby for the first time, either. I am ecstatic!

I have a pretty, shiny medal to show off, but infinitely more important is the satisfaction I've received in having accomplished something I had set as a goal, and giving it my best effort.

I would post a photo, but ants got in our digital camera and ruined the lens, so I'll have to wait until I can get a disposable film camera, or convince my husband that we need to go ahead and spring for a new digital.

Today I'm grateful for:
  • Setting a goal and accomplishing it

  • My value as a human being is not measured by my accomplishments

  • I look great in bronze

  • Being fit and strong

  • My supportive husband who got up at 5:00 AM to take me to the race, and stayed to cheer me on

  • Strong encouragement and support from my AA home group when I re-surrendered the night before last

  • Fantastic meetings both Thursday and Friday evenings

  • Forgiveness

  • Love

  • Hope

  • Joy

  • Faith

10 comments:

ArahMan7 said...

Hope to see in Bronze soon. Love your grateful lists especially your supportive hubby.

Enjoy your weekend, DG.

dAAve said...

GREAT !!
Thanks for posting and sharing with us.

Anonymous said...

You sound so LIGHT! You definately are beaming right now as bright and brilliant as your bronze I am sure!

Pammie said...

oh I've missed ya girl. It's OK to come back and start again. You are loved.

Mary Christine said...

That is awesome! Your first race and you placed! Wow. Keep running sister!

Recovery Road London said...

Not bad? I'd say that's bloody great! To place in your first race. The time isn't too bad either for this stage of the season?

If you ever need a rub down and a massage after a gruelling session...I have towels and things. ;)

Go you!

Scott W said...

We don't all make it the first time, or the second, or the third. But if we keep coming back we will eventually find the surrender we need to get recovered. Stay with us. Let us carry you until you can stand by yourself. Of course, you never really have to be by yourself. The WE of the program keeps us from ever being alone again.

Thank God!

Anonymous said...

Wow--ya, what Scott W. said, DG. Read it over and over.
And congrats, girl! Placing in your first race is so awesome!
Peace,
Scout

Recovery Road London said...

Stopping by to say "Hi".

Hi.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Halo Love, how are you? Thinking of you and all that you are going thru.