Thursday, October 04, 2007

I Hear Voices

As of right now, it's been 4 days, 13 hours, 9 minutes and 26 seconds since I've smoked a cigarette, which totals 90 cigarettes not smoked, and $22.50 saved (I smoked expensive cigarettes). That's enough for a pedicure! I guess I can afford to treat myself to one! :)

It feels so easy right now. It's like, "Oh yeah, this is a piece of cake. I'm a non-smoker now. I can do this for the rest of my life, no problem."

Only, I'm an alcoholic and addict. And this is the voice of my addiction. I have names for all its various guises, and this one is Nikki.

Nikki wants to lull me into a false sense of security, pride and grandiosity, to make me think that I can do anything I put my mind to, and then, when I've become complacent and non-vigilant, and I'm most vulnerable or least expecting it, she'll tell me it's okay to smoke just one cigarette, that I deserve it because of whatever I'm going through at the moment, and AT LEAST IT'S NOT AS BAD AS DRINKING!

Whether it's Al, Nikki, Edy, or whatever other guise my addiction assumes, I have to be ready, and I have to be able to recognize it for what it is. So, for this alcoholic and addict, vigilance, awareness, prayer and reliance on my Higher Power and the support of others is key. Without having those factors in my life, and without working a good 12-step program, I'm lost.

Thank God, for this fellowship and this program, which teaches us HOW to live, and gives us the desire to do so!

7 comments:

Shadow said...

i really admire you for the smoking and drinking thing..... or rather NON smoking and NON drinking! good luck! you've got my support!

dAAve said...

Good for you.
I found it quite easy (surprisingly so) to stop smoking after 36 years. Why would you light up if you're a non-smoker?

Scott W said...

Cigarettes are the nastiest things ever! I cannot believe I smoked for as long as I did.

Mary Christine said...

You really can walk away from smoking. It is not denial to say you can. I did it - after 25 years of 2 packs a day.

Recovery Road London said...

*lights Marlboro*

:)

Recovery Road London said...

Just stopping by to say Hi.

*lights another MArlboro*

Trudging said...

Wow, good for you! Keep it up.