Thursday, January 03, 2008

Happy Sober New Year!

We just got back late last night from holidays spent first with R's and my family in Atlanta (Christmas), and then with my family in Raleigh (New Year's). We drove the entire way, which was 12 hours to Atlanta, 8 hours to Raleigh, and then 14 hours returning from Raleigh to South Florida. And I didn't want to drink or kill anyone!

Road trips used to make me REALLY crazy, but I'm finding that I can now relax and just be, and not feel (so) pressured to always be adhering to some imaginary schedule or someone's phantom expectations. Progress, not perfection. I've got so much work to do in preparation for my outpatient activities, and I'm anxious to get back to my meetings and reconnect with my friends here.

I did go to a fabulous meeting while in Raleigh (one I had visited while there at Thanksgiving) and felt right at home. I guess that will be my home-away-from-home meeting there! Cool.

One of the most amazing gifts of this program is my relationship with my parents, and their awareness, understanding and compassion for other alcoholics. Shortly after I finished my inpatient treatment, my Mama and Daddy were able to offer one of their employees, who has struggled with his alcoholism for years, the chance to enroll in a similar program. "C" had just returned home a couple of weeks prior to our visit, so when I saw him at my parents' office, I suggested we go to a meeting together, which we did. So now I have a buddy there, too! How cool is that?!

I have SO MUCH to be grateful for, and I AM grateful, as this year begins.
  • No early morning guilt, shame and nausea.
  • No wondering what I did or what I said the night before.
  • Relationships that are changing, growing, and thriving.
  • Trust being rebuilt.
  • Real honesty.
  • Appreciation for my family and their amazing love and patience.
  • My friends (including my awesome sponsor) in the program.
  • My family.
  • My husband.
  • The Promises.
  • The Miracle.
  • My growing relationship with my Higher Power, and my growing ability to trust Him.
  • The certainty that my Higher Power loves and accepts me just as I am today, which means I can love and accept myself, imperfect as I am.
  • Way too much to list here right now, but WOW!!!! What a great way to face the New Year. Sober, joyful and free!

3 comments:

Bunny said...

I just started my own blog today as I too am trying to get sober. After starting my blog I did a google search on "attempting sobriety" and found yours. I have now read nearly all of your posts since you started. I feel so motivated. Thank you for sharing all of this. You don't know me but I just want to let you know that your words are helpful to me. I will check back.

Shadow said...

and a happy new year to you too!!! you sound GREAT!

Scott W said...

YES! That's the way we do it!