Monday, September 20, 2021

Monday Blues

 

Kinda had an epiphany late last night as I was drooling over and coveting all things blue and white and chinoiserie on Pinterest and Instagram: I'm not a high-end girl! Everything I've been pinning and ❤️ing and adding to my shopping carts is stunning, gorgeous, and absolutely perfect on a Christmas tree.

In a more formal home.

One of the things that immediately drew us into our new-to-us home is how pretty, light, open, and perfect it is for our rather laid-back style and eclectic mix of inherited, rustic, and utilitarian furniture. I absolutely adore the brick on our fireplace,  and in the sunroom. I'm obsessed with the granite and hand painted cabinetry in our kitchen. I love the modern, sleek beauty of the appliances (even though I'm still getting used to them and complain about them too often 😊). The light fixtures are exactly what I would have chosen, and bring in a little modern industrial vibe that I'm OB-sessed with. And, y'all already know how I feel about the floors! Love, love, LOVE them! ❤️

So, back to my beautiful blue and white Christmas dreams... I need to keep it authentic to OUR style, and to the style of our lovely sweet home. I have so much stuff already. Roy and I go every weekend and bring back a load from the storage units. I need to cull and curate what we have down to what we actually use and enjoy. All extraneous stuff is ultimately stressing me out, and what's ridiculous is that instead of tackling the problem at hand, i.e., severely downsizing our belongings as I unpack, I start adding stuff I don't need to online shopping carts. 

I don't know where I'm going with this exactly. Just need to get it out and off my chest. I know the Holy Spirit is showing me that this is an area I need to focus on and work through, and revealing to me how incredibly blessed we are. To be grateful for and enjoy what is important: Not stuff. Not decorating. Not having everything look like photos in a magazine or on a design blog. Not outdoing last year's Christmas tree.

What IS important is: Family. Friends. Welcome. Hospitality.

Christ as the reason we even celebrate Christmas in the first place..

I need to stop obsessing about decorating for a holiday season still over 2 months away, and just make a HOME.

A place we enjoy and love being. A place that envelops us with welcome, serenity, and safety when we return.

A place where an air mattress on the floor is fine, because we want a chance to visit and catch up with friends and loved ones. A place where it's okay for a neighbor to pop in for a cup of coffee, even if the breakfast dishes are still in the sink. 

That's what I really want. Not more stuff.

Im wondering how hard it is to cancel orders?? 😳😆

No comments: