Friday, May 19, 2006

Welcome to the Neighborhood

Something kinda cool is happening: I'm finding other people in my very small neighborhood (about 100 houses) that are in "The Program." I knew about one already, because she's the lady I've asked to be my sponsor (which she's agreed to do, BTW).

Yesterday, my sponsor called me and asked me if I'd be okay with her giving my name to another girl in the neighborhood, who I've met, but don't know very well. I told her it was fine, and I assumed she was "brand new" (i.e., has been sober even less time than I have).

I went ahead and called her (which, if you knew me, you'd know that was very hard for me to do) a few minutes ago to see if she wanted to go to a meeting with me tonight (she does), and we talked for about 10 minutes. Turns out, she's been sober about 3 months, but it was SO easy to talk to her. We really connected.

Maybe this sounds crazy, but I'm so excited to be finding fellow alkies within my own neighborhood. It just underscores so much that we are definitely not alone in this fight!

Gotta go and get ready for the meeting. Later.

No comments: