Thursday, September 14, 2006

One Happy Chica

Been feeling a bit under the weather physically the last few days. Nothing serious, probably just allergies, as it seems to be responding to Claritin. The night before last, I woke up in the middle of the night completely drenched — my t-shirt and the sheet beneath me soaked. I haven't had night sweats like that since I had malaria, so it was a little disconcerting. I think I definitely need to get back on hormone replacement therapy.

Despite feeling slightly icky, this has been a good week so far. I've stopped completely hating south Florida, and am starting to think I can actually be happy here. :D

I went to a meeting Monday night that was absolutely awesome. There was such a sense of spirituality among the women there. It was an all women's meeting, and it's been going on for 34 years! In fact, they are celebrating their 34th anniversary as an AA group next Monday.

This was one of the most welcoming groups I've been to, but it was more than that. I felt that there were women there that I have more in common with socially and professionally than at most of the other (handful of) meetings I've been to since we moved here. I finally feel that I've met some women with whom I can connect, and more importantly from whom I can learn. I want what they have.

The woman who led the meeting said something that really resonated and has stuck with me. She said she has this quote on an index card, taped to her mirror:
You are looking at the face of the only person responsible for your happiness today.

So simple, yet so profound.

And I'm finding happiness, or joy, in other, seemingly small things, too:
  • The serenity on my husband's face as he sleeps.

  • Boots's renewed contentment and confidence since the installation of his kitty door.

  • Sunshine, palm trees, and butterflies.

  • Really good coffee.

  • My husband's telling me in a moment of self-doubt, "I love you very much." (Okay — that one's really huge!)
Yeah, today I'd have to say, I'm one pretty happy and grateful gal!

15 comments:

Trudging said...

Yes, all good except of the night sweats. Hang in there, my allergies have been kicking my butt too.

Pam Jarnagin said...

Yeah, the night sweats are just one of the many joys of menopause. :) I guess I'm going through it earlier than some women.

Tab, he's already brought in at least 8 lizards. I told my hubby that at this rate, he make seriously deplete the population before too long.

Gotta book to get to my 7 PM meeting!

Scott W said...

You sound GREAT!

Unknown said...

Ahhh...I remember the night sweats. I thought I was dying.

I agree with others...you sound great!

Unknown said...

I meant I had night sweats from drinkinf withdrawal for a long time. hehe. I don't think I'm menopausal.

Carly said...

Girl, I can "hear" in your post that the miracle is happening for and IN you! Hurray for finding the women's meeting you so connected with! Hurray for gratitudes, hurray for YOU!

dAAve said...

wheeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!

Gooey Munster said...

Hey DG you have some magic going on here! This meeting that you discovered sounds wonderful. Sounds like you are adopting this group. :)

I am really grateful that you are here.

PS
I like your HNT picture. Beautiful tosies!

Pam Jarnagin said...

Hey, everyone! This has been a really good week. Nothing major has happened, except I just seem to have been given the gift of an attitude change. It feels so good to be happy, content, and serene. I just want to hold on to this so much, it's giving me the motivation I was lacking there for a while.

At tonight's meeting, I admitted my relapses, and told them I need to get a sponsor and start working the steps, and that I knew it didn't do me any good to come into the meetings and not be completely honest about where I am on this journey. I think I may FINALLY be BEGINNING to get it. One day at a time. Easy does it.

Recovery Road London said...

34 years is incredible.

Hope you perk-up physically. Don't over do it etc, etc

It's good not to hate S.Florida....especially if you have to live there/go there...lol.

Thanks for dropping by my place even though I can't visit you folks as often at the moment.

Kenny .x.

tkdjunkie said...

I really like your mirror comment ... "I am the only one responsible for my happiness today."

Thank you for sharing that :)

Hope you feel better!

Jen R. said...

So glad I found your blog..come see me if you get a chance. I'd love to get involved more in the recovery blogging community.

Jen

JJ said...

Nothing like good coffee.
I see you,
JJ

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great meeting. Thanks for the post!

G~

jake said...

I hope you are feeling better.....