Friday, February 02, 2007

Slowly, But Surely

I've had a cold since returning from skiing in Vail. It's been more annoying and frustrating than debilitating, but as it quickly went into my chest, I couldn't run for a week.

My plan was to begin running again the day after I returned, since the ski trip to Snowmass begins February 10th, and I need to stay in condition.

This week, despite still being somewhat sick, I was determined to do what I could. So, on Sunday, I ran about 1.75 miles. I ran a little more on Monday, yet a little more on Wednesday, and today I ran 2.76 miles, my farthest yet.

In many ways, this slow, incremental progress in my running mirrors the slow, incremental progress in my sobriety.

Sometimes I feel like I can keep going forever. My energy is high, I'm feeling strong and confident, it feels comfortable and easy, and I love doing something that I know is so good for me physically, mentally and emotionally.

Other times, though, it's all I can do to push on, to make myself put on my shorts and tie my shoelaces, and even as I head out, I'm thinking, I just can't do this today; it's too hard.

Those days, when it seems just too hard, I have to tell myself, Just do what you can today. Just go the distance. You can walk part of the way if you need to.

So, I start out, and at first, it's just like I'm fearing. No energy. Every breath an effort. My knee throbs.

But, I keep going, very slowly, really only jogging at first. Please, God, just help me get through the first block... Okay, we made that, let's keep going. My pace picks up a bit. We can at least do a mile!

By the time I'm up to the .5 mile mark, I'm feeling good, actually ENJOYING the run. A goofy grin breaks out on my face, but I don't care.

I can keep going forever.

7 comments:

Pammie said...

Hey Girl....so glad to see a post from you and know you're OK. Sorry you've been sick. Please take care of yourself

dAAve said...

Good analogy. Do what you can.

ArahMan7 said...

Hope you're feeling ok.

An Irish Friend of Bill said...

Cool. i can relate to that! I used to think that 'fit' people found all this stuff easy. It came as a big shock to find they really struggled to improve their fitness too. We are much more similar than we realise. there is no ''us' and 'them', most of us are struggling with the SAME stuff, with varying good grace! hope you feel better soon!

Scott W said...

I can't relate to running and probably never will, but I can relate to the slow and incremental progress of recovery. I have had to let go of instant gratification, at least as much as I am able. Good to read you again.

Anonymous said...

Good to see you post.
I also like the analogy -- it's like recovery, huh.
Peace and keep up the awesome progress,
Scout

Shadow said...

don't you sometimes wish you could do what you do in dreams... run and run and run and never get tired...